Larrikins is a cancelled film from DreamWorks Animation. The film was to be written by Harry Cripps and produced by Christina Steinberg. It was set for a February 16, 2018 release, before Minchin announced the film's cancellation on March 5, 2017.
Had it been made, it would have been the first DreamWorks Animation film to be distributed by Universal Pictures, whose parent company NBCUniversal acquired DreamWorks Animation in 2016. This was the second 2018 DreamWorks film to be cancelled, after The Croods 2 (until September 17, 2017, when that sequel was put back into production). Ideas and assets from the film were repurposed for the 2018 DreamWorks short Bilby.
When Perry, an uptight bilby gets kicked out of his sheltered life of his family burrow, he ventures out and finds himself launched on a musical adventure across the mystical Australian outback. On the way, he must battle an evil army of monsters known as the Syvalionilas, or "Syvas", for short and win the heart of his one true love, a female bilby called Bonnie. He also befriends kangaroo, Red and cane toad, Andrew, who he must team up with in order to save the empire of the wind.
- Because of its cancellation, no DreamWorks Animation full-length films came out in the year 2018, making it the first year DreamWorks Animation has skipped a year since 1999.
- This would have been the first DreamWorks Animation film to be released in February.
- ↑ MATILDA and GROUNDHOG DAY's Tim Minchin Comes to Feinstein's/54 Below One Night Only. BroadWay World (March 5, 2017). Retrieved on August 22, 2019.
- ↑ Koch, Dave (January 24, 2015). Massive Layoffs at DreamWorks Animation. The Big Cartoon DataBase. Archived from the original on January 26, 2015. Retrieved on January 27, 2015.
- ↑ Amidi, Amid (March 7, 2017). Dreamworks Kills Tim Minchin's 'Larrikins'. Cartoon Brew. Retrieved on March 9, 2017.