- “ There is always a bright side!”
- ― Poppy
Poppy is the female main character of the Trolls franchise. She is voiced by Anna Kendrick.
Poppy is a lead, a relentlessly upbeat — if slightly naive — Troll whose father King Peppy saved his subjects from the Troll-hungry Bergens. Despite this, Poppy is incredibly noble and responsible as she risks her life to go on a perilous journey to save her friends.
As she and her group of nine friends, the Snack Pack, face their biggest challenge ever, Poppy is faced for the first time in her life with a problem that apparently can't be solved with a song, a dance and a hug. But after some hilarious attempts at saving the day, Poppy discovers that being true to anyone else is always the best answer.
Poppy has flamingo pink skin and sparkles on both cheeks that resemble cute freckles. She wears a blue dress and a green headband with blue flowers. Her hair is a darker pink, and she has pretty bangs that fall near her eyes. She is known to have black eyes, (as if) it's already confirmed. She wears her hair in a ponytail for most of the film with a light blue rubber band.
Even though despite her eyes being black, her eyes are a sparkly magenta. Her Hug Time bracelet, which she isn't wearing in her picture here, is purple and blue.
When she was a baby she was naked except for her headband with a flower on it.
Role in the film
In the beginning, Poppy is only a toddler. She was supposedly one to three at this time and later she is possibly 21 to 23 years old. She was supposed to be served to the young Prince Gristle as his first troll. In Trolls World Tour She is 24 years old.
However, she is replaced with a wood decoy and is saved and delivered to her father, King Peppy, where she is led out of Bergen Town safety by sitting in his hair underneath his crown, resembling he is the said king. Now energetic and happy adult Poppy throws a party to celebrate the escape from Bergen Town, but this party attracts the attention of Chef, the Bergen who was banished from Bergen Town by King Gristle Sr. for the Trolls' escape. Chef captures all of Poppy's friends in the village though Poppy, Peppy and the majority are able to escape Bergen Town. To save the others, Poppy recruits a pessimistic Troll named Branch to help her.
Upon arriving in Bergen Town, Poppy convinces the scullery maid Bridget into freeing the captured Trolls. In return, she and her friends will get her a date with Prince Gristle, now known as King Gristle Jr. Bridget notices that every troll was singing except one: Branch. Poppy tries to convince Branch to sing, but he refuses. He reveals that the reason he doesn't sing anymore is that his grandmother, Grandma Rosiepuff got killed by Chef. Poppy and the others comfort Branch. He agrees to help but still doesn't sing. Using their hair, Poppy and the Trolls make Bridget look like she has long colourful hair and whispers to her on what to say.
This succeeds in getting King Gristle becoming attracted to Bridget (who uses the name of Lady Glitter Sparkles). Later, Poppy sees Creek (whom she had a crush on) supposedly being eaten by King Gristle but later sees him trapped inside the King's jewel. The Trolls steal the jewel but find it empty. Just then, Poppy and the Trolls are captured by Chef and discover that Creek has turned against them to save himself from being eaten. Creek then takes Poppy's cowbell and uses it to trick Peppy and the other Trolls in the village to come out of hiding before they are captured by Chef and the other Bergen cooks.
With all the Trolls captured and ready to be cooked, Poppy loses hope and turns grey along with the other Trolls. Branch, however, is able to restore Poppy and the other Trolls' colors by singing Cindy Lauper's "True Colors" and admitting he loves her, which she reciprocates to him. The Trolls are then rescued by Bridget and reveal to King Gristle that Bridget was Lady Glitter Sparkles and say that Bergens don't have to eat Trolls to be happy. At the end of the film, Poppy is made Queen of the Trolls and Bergens,
Although it is currently unconfirmed whether Poppy and Branch are indeed together as the Trolls Holiday didn't seem to show them as anything beyond friends, many fans speculate and hope that the upcoming sequel Trolls World Tour will confirm them as an official couple.
- Considering that she was a toddler when the Trolls escaped from Bergen town, Poppy is in her early twenties by the events of the film.
- Despite being happy most of the time, Poppy is shown to have outbursts of rage over the course of the film.
- She can also be slightly sly, sassy, or mischievous. But pretty much most of the time she's pretty sweet, positive, and perky.
- During the first part of the movie and in promotional art, Poppy has her hair loose. For the party scene, and the rest of the movie, her hair is tied into a ponytail with a blue rubber band.
- Poppy keeps pretty much everything she owns in her hair, like her scrapbook, glue, scissors, cowbell, a picture of Creek and friends, glitter.
- Poppy does not seem to understand sarcasm through the first part of the movie but inherently learns as she was being sarcastic when the Trolls were put in the pot.
- Poppy is the fourth DreamWorks Animation female protagonist, after Ginger from Chicken Run, Susan Murphy from Monsters vs. Aliens, Eep from The Croods, and is followed by Yi from Abominable.
- Poppy is Anna Kendrick's second animated role, with the first being Courtney from the 2012 Laika film ParaNorman. However, Kendrick is best known for her role as Becca in the Universal (which now owns the rights to DreamWorks Animation's films) Pitch Perfect franchise.
- Poppy has a few similarities to The Lion King's Nala;
- Both are seen as children when they're first introduced.
- Both become queens at the end of the first films.
- Both are selfless and loyal to their friends.
- Both have romantic interests (Branch & Simba) who they argue with on a log.
- Both have a missing parent (Poppy's mother & Nala's father)