Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (formerly known as before cancellation Puss in Boots: Nine Lives and Forty Thieves) is an upcoming sequel to Puss in Boots (2011). It is set to be released on September 23, 2022 and will be the 43rd feature film.
Two months after the events of the first film, Puss in Boots discovers that his passion for adventure has taken its toll: He has burned through eight of his nine lives, leaving him with only one left. He sets out on an epic journey to find the mystical Last Wish and restore his nine lives.
In November 2012, executive producer Guillermo del Toro said that they already did a couple of script drafts for a sequel, and that the director Chris Miller wants to take Puss on an adventure to exotic places. In April 2014, Antonio Banderas, the voice of Puss, said that the work on the sequel had just begun. In June 2014, the movie was titled Puss in Boots 2: Nine Lives & 40 Thieves and was scheduled to be released on November 2, 2018. In August 2014, it was delayed to December 21, 2018.
In January 2015, Puss in Boots 2 was removed from the release schedule following corporate restructuring and DreamWorks Animation's new policy to release two films a year.
In March 2015, Banderas said in an interview that the script was under restructuring, and that Shrek may appear in the film. In November 2018, it was announced by Variety that Chris Meledandri had been tasked to being one of the executive producers of both Shrek 5 and Puss in Boots 2, with the cast returning. In February 2019, Bob Persichetti, the head of story on the first film, signed on to direct the sequel. Latifa Ouaou, who produced the original Puss in Boots film, will oversee development of the sequel. In March 2021, the film's title was revealed to be “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish”, with a release date of September 23, 2022.
- Puss in Boots is DreamWorks' tenth film to become a franchise, after The Prince of Egypt, Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, Trolls, The Croods, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron and The Boss Baby.
- It's also the first franchise based on a spin-off.
- This will be the first spin-off film from the studio to receive a sequel.
- This is the first film to be set in the Shrek franchise to be distributed by Universal Pictures.
- Dreamworks Animation's second film to release in September after Abominable (2019)