- “Say hola to his little friends.”
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is an upcoming 3D computer animated comedy adventure film directed by Joel Crawford. It's the sequel to Puss in Boots (2011) and the second installment of the Puss in Boots franchise. Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek reprises their roles from the first film with Florence Pugh, Harvey Guillan, John Mulanay and Ray Winstone joining them voicing new characters.
It is set to be released on December 21, 2022. It will be the 43rd feature film of DreamWorks Animation.
Two years after the events of the first film, Puss in Boots discovers that his passion for adventure has taken its toll: He has burned through eight of his nine lives, leaving him with only one left. He sets out on an epic journey to find the mystical Last Wish and restore his nine lives.
- Antonio Banderas as Puss in Boots
- Salma Hayek as Kitty Softpaws
- Harvey Guillén as Perro
- John Mulaney as "Big" Jack Horner
- Florence Pugh as Goldilocks
- Wagner Moura as Big Bad Wolf
- Olivia Colman as Mama Bear 
- Ray Winstone as Papa Bear
- Samson Kayo as Baby Bear 
- Anthony Mendez
- Da'Vine Joy Randolph as Mama Luna
- Bob Persichetti as Ohhhh Cat
In November 2012, executive producer Guillermo del Toro said that they already did a couple of script drafts for a sequel, and that the director Chris Miller wants to take Puss on an adventure to exotic places. In April 2014, Antonio Banderas, the voice of Puss, said that the work on the sequel had just begun. In June 2014, the movie was titled Puss in Boots 2: Nine Lives & 40 Thieves and was scheduled to be released on November 2, 2018. In August 2014, it was delayed to December 21, 2018.
In January 2015, Puss in Boots 2 was removed from the release schedule following corporate restructuring and DreamWorks Animation's new policy to release two films a year.
In March 2015, Banderas said in an interview that the script was under restructuring, and that Shrek may appear in the film. In November 2018, it was announced by Variety that Chris Meledandri had been tasked to being one of the executive producers of both Shrek 5 and Puss in Boots 2, with the cast returning. In February 2019, Bob Persichetti, the head of story on the first film, signed on to direct the sequel. Latifa Ouaou, who produced the original Puss in Boots film, will oversee development of the sequel. In March 2021, the film's title was revealed to be “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish”, with a release date of September 23, 2022. In April 2022, that delayed to December 21.
- Puss in Boots is DreamWorks' tenth film to become a franchise, after The Prince of Egypt, Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, Trolls, The Croods, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron and The Boss Baby.
- It's also the first franchise based on a spin-off.
- This will be the first spin-off film from the studio to receive a sequel.
- This is the first DreamWorks Animation film to feature animation style used in Lego Movie films, The Peanuts Movie (2015), Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), Promare (2019), The Willoughbys (2020), The Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the Run (2020), and Seal Team (2021).
- This is also the second DreamWorks Animation film to feature animation style used in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), after The Bad Guys.
- This is the first film to be set in the Shrek franchise to be distributed by Universal Pictures.
- The twentieth first DreamWorks Animation film to be produced in 2.39:1 aspect ratio, after Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, Kung Fu Panda, Monsters vs. Aliens, How to Train Your Dragon, Shrek Forever After, Megamind, Kung Fu Panda 2, Puss in Boots, The Croods, Turbo, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Kung Fu Panda 3, Trolls, The Boss Baby, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, Trolls World Tour, The Croods: A New Age, Spirit Untamed, The Boss Baby: Family Business and The Bad Guys.
- This film was the first DreamWorks Animation film that used the assembling system named "PipeX".
- Dreamworks Animation's second film to release in December, since The Prince of Egypt (1998).
- The second DreamWorks Animation film to be directed by Joel Crawford after The Croods: A New Age.
- This is the first DreamWorks Animation film to be executive produced by Christopher Meledandri.
- This is also the first animated film to be executive produced by Chris Meledandri since Horton Hears a Who!.