Puss in Boots: Nine Lives and 40 Thieves is an upcoming film that was formerly cancelled.
In November 2012, executive producer Guillermo del Toro said, “We already did a couple of drafts on the screenplay for Puss in Boots 2. We take Puss to a completely different land which is very exotic. When Chris [Miller], the director, said ‘I don’t want Puss to happen in the same universe as the Shrek movies visually, I want to do a spaghetti western,’ he is, in this case, trying to do an adventure movie so we’re taking him to a very exotic locale.”
In April 2014, Antonio Banderas, the voice of Puss, said, “We started the new one four days ago. It did incredibly well with audiences and critics, all around the world, and the character is going to keep going. With Jeffrey [Katzenberg], whatever he wants. He’s one of my favorite producers. This character was born almost 12 years ago. We have had a lot of fun with him, and it seems that audiences do, too. So, we’re doing another one.” In June 2014, the movie was titled Puss in Boots 2: Nine Lives & 40 Thieves and was scheduled to be released on November 2, 2018. In August 2014, it was moved one month to December 21, 2018.
In January 2015, Puss in Boots 2 was removed from the release schedule following corporate restructuring and DreamWorks Animation's new policy to release two films a year. However it was later brought back in development.
In March 2015, Banderas said in an interview that the script was under restructuring, and that Shrek may appear in the film. But the article was later deleted. On November 6, 2018, it was reported by Variety that Chris Meledandri had been tasked to being one of the executive producers of both Shrek 5 and Puss in Boots 2, with the original cast returning. In February 2019, Bob Persichetti, the head of story on the first film, signed on to direct the sequel. Latifa Ouaou, who produced the original Puss in Boots film, will oversee development of the sequel.