- “''Captain Smek:' No, no no. He is not a super Boov. There's only one Super Boov and you know who that is; you're looking at him. I invented running away and look at this, I have the Shusher. I am your captain.
Oh: But you are not good captain.'”
- ―Oh contradicts Smek
Captain Smek, also known as DJ Smek in the end, is the main protagonist in Almost Home, the main antagonist (later reformed) in Home, and a recurring antagonist in the TV series Home: Adventures with Tip and Oh. He is the former leader of the Boov race, becomes a D.J. at the end of the film, and becomes a thief in the TV series.
His main trait is being wimpy, and being celebrated by being said thing. He will retreat from anything, and has incorporated said thing to the Boov culture. In the TV series, Smek becomes more nasty than in the film.
Not much is known about his life, other than having stolen a device of the Gorg's that he uses to shut people up, although the device is actually a Gorg egg.
In the short film, Captain Smek appears when getting out of his spaceship along with the other Boov and announcing to his Boov on arriving at their foster new planet.
At the beginning of the film, Captain Smek tells all the Boov that they are going to invade earth as their new home. After Oh sends a invitation to all the Boov and all other alien races (inlcuding the Gorg himself), Smek tells all the Boov to find Oh and tell him what his password is to stop sending the invitation to the Gorg he sends a Boov cop named Kyle to find Oh and tell him what his password was.
Meanwhile, Smek goes to Paris where he meets up with Kyle again, who failed to capture Oh and Tip. Later, Smek asks Kyle if he has any ideas on how to capture the two and Kyle suggests that they type in random buttons, so Smek commands the Big Brain Boovs to get to work.
Later, Captain Smek and his army of Boov surround the two in Paris and tells Oh that even though he fixed his mistake it can't be guaranteed he won't continue to make more. So, he must erase him. Luckily, Tip turns the "gravity thingy" upside down and Smek later escapes in Kyle's flying pod.
After the Gorg attacks the Boov, Oh mentions to all the Boov about how much of a bad captain Smek is, before Smek can hit Oh with his "Shusher" Kyle forces him to let Oh be captain but Smek refuses and gets hit in the head by Kyle and gives the "Shusher" to Oh, near the end Smek redeems himself and becomes a DJ for the Boov and for Oh being captain.
In the TV series, Smek made his first TV appearance, this time he is more sinister than at the end of the film. In his first TV episode "Little Kisses", he steals every kitty litter in Chicago when Oh and Tip buy some for Pig in revenge for Oh taking his role as captain of the Boov.
In "Boov Up and Drive", after Tip fails her first Boov driving test, hosted by Kyle, Smek steals Slushious, leaving it up to Oh, Tip and Kyle to retrieve it back.
In "Best Frenemies", Smek pretends to be Oh's friend so he can find out his fears and weaknesses, but then he realizes what true friendship is about.
- Captain Smek is played by Steve Martin.
- Captain Smek is very similar to Mother Gothel from Tangled (2010), as both of them tricked who they "loved" into obeying them (Captain Smek acted cowardly and stole the Gorg egg to make the Boov believe the Gorg was evil and so the Boov would obey Smek, Mother Gothel stole Rapunzel as an infant and told her the world was dangerous so she could be young and beautiful forever).
- The word, "Smek", is a Swedish word that means "caressing".
- He is the fifth 3D computer-animated movie villain to be an alien, the first being King Goobot, the second being Gallaxhar, the third being General Grawl, and the fourth being Lena Thackleman. However, unlike all four of them, Smek isn't truly evil, and would do anything to protect the Boov from any certain threats.
- Smek's voice resembles Jeffrey Tambor and Jay Leno.
|Home • Almost Home|
|Oh • Tip • Lucy Tucci • Pig • Smek • Kyle • The Boov • Gorg Commander|
|Home: Boov Pop!|