Spirit Untamed is an upcoming coumputer animated film that is a sequel to the 2002 tranditionally animated film Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, as well as a continuation of the Netflix series, Spirit Riding Free. Produced by DreamWorks Animation and distributed by Universal Pictures, the film was directed by Elaine Bogan and co-directed by Ennio Torresan in their feature film directorial debuts and written by the show’s creator Aury Wallington. The events of the film are expected to take place after the Riding Academy seasons of the TV series. It is set to be released on June 11th, 2021, and will be the 40th feature film of DreamWorks Animation.
In October 2019, DreamWorks Animation announced that a feature film based on the Spirit Riding Free series was in development, with Elaine Bogan serving as director and Ennio Torresan serving as co-director from a script by series creator Aury Wallington, and produced by Karen Foster. The film will be produced on a lower budget and be made by a different animation studio outside of DreamWorks, similar to Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie. The film was scheduled for a release on May 14, 2021.
- This is the seventh DreamWorks Animation film to have a female protagonist, after Chicken Run, Monsters vs. Aliens, The Croods, Trolls, Trolls World Tour, and Abominable.
- This is Netflix's first theatrical film based on Netflix's original TV show, by having Netflix Theatricals.
- This is the fourth DreamWorks Animation sequel not to have its music score composed by the same composer as its predecessor after Penguins of Madagascar (which had its music score composed by Lorne Balfe), Trolls World Tour (which had its music score composed by Theodore Shapiro), and The Croods: A New Age (which had its music score composed by Mark Mothersbaugh); Hans Zimmer composed the music score for the first film while Amie Doherty takes over for this film.
- This is the first Spirit film to be rated PG by the MPA, unlike Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron was rated G, making it the first and only DreamWorks Animation sequel not to be desiganted the same MPA rating as its predecessor.
- The fourth animated sequel to be rated PG by the MPAA, unlike the previous installments which were rated G, after Rugrats Go Wild, Finding Dory and Sherlock Gnomes.
- The third computer-animated sequel to be rated PG by the MPAA, unlike the previous installments which were rated G, after Finding Dory and Sherlock Gnomes.