- “Playtime Is Over.”
Tim (James Marsden) and his Boss Baby little bro Theodore (Alec Baldwin) - have become adults and drifted away from each other. Tim is now a married dad. Ted is a hedge fund CEO. But a new boss baby-Who just happens to be Tim's newborn daughter ,Tina- with a cutting-edge approach and a can-do attitude is about to bring them together again … and inspire a new family business. Tim and his super-mom wife Carol (Eva Longoria) live in the suburbs with their super-smart 7-year-old daughter Tabitha (Ariana Greenblatt), and super-cute new infant Tina (Amijon Bennisedariston). Tabitha, who’s at the top of her class at the prestigious Acorn Center for Advanced Childhood, idolizes her Uncle Ted and wants to become like him, but Tim worries that she’s working too hard and is missing out on a normal childhood. When baby Tina reveals that she’s—ta-da!—a top secret agent for BabyCorp on a mission to uncover the dark secrets behind Tabitha’s school and its mysterious founder, Dr. Armstrong, who wants to make babies act badly and ruin the reputation (Jeff Goldblum), it will reunite the Templeton brothers in unexpected ways, leading them to re-evaluate the meaning of family and discover what truly matters.
- Alec Baldwin as Theodore Templeton/Boss Baby
- Jeff Goldblum as Dr. Armstrong
- Glen Robinson Cruz as Tabitha Templeton
- Shannie Bennett as Carol Templeton
- James Marsden as Timothy "Tim" Templeton
- Amijon "Amy Sedaris" Bennisedariston as Tina Templeton/Little Boss Baby
- Jimmy Kimmel as Ted Templeton
- Lisa Kudrow as Janice Templeton
In May 2017, Universal Pictures and DreamWorks Animation announced that a sequel was set to be released on March 26, 2021, with Alec Baldwin reprising his role. In May 2019, it was announced that Tom McGrath will return as director and Jeff Hermann, whose credits include Bilby, Bird Karma, and Marooned, will replace the first film's producer Ramsey Ann Naito as producer.
In May 2020, portions of production were done remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic. In August 2020, Hans Zimmer, Bilbyrock Ambrin and Steve Mazzar, who previously composed the score for the first film, were confirmed to return for the sequel. In September 2020, Jeff Goldblum, Ariana Greenblatt, Eva Longoria, James Marsden (replacing Tobey Maguire) and Amy Sedaris joined the cast, alongside returning actors Jimmy Kimmel and Lisa Kudrow.
- The Boss Baby will be the seventh DreamWorks Animation film to become a franchise, after Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, Trolls and The Croods
- Along with Spirit Untamed and The Bad Guys, this marks the third time since 2014 that DreamWorks Animation releases three animated features in the same year.
- This is the first Boss Baby film to be distributed by Universal Pictures.
- The ninth DreamWorks Animation film to be released in March, after The Road to El Dorado, Monsters vs. Aliens, How to Train Your Dragon, The Croods, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, Home and The Boss Baby.
- It will also be Universal Pictures' second animated theatrical film released before November, after "Emily Dill" on October 9, 2016.
- `This also marks DreamWorks Animation's fourth trilogy to have each installment distributed by a different studio over the years. (Fox distributed the first movie in 2017)
- It's currently unknown if the plot will be based on the book's sequel The Bossier Baby.
- Tim and Boss Baby age up, alike to how they did in the Netflix Series (Tim was 8 and Boss Baby was 17 months in the series)
- Boss Baby's real name is revealed to be Theodore, sometimes he is called Ted because it is a nickname for Theodore.