Trolls is a 2016 American 3D computer-animated musical comedy film directed by Mike Mitchell, produced by DreamWorks Animation and distributed by 20th Century Fox. The film will be starring Anna Kendrick and Justin Timberlake. Based on the Troll dolls by Thomas Dam, the film was released in the United Kingdom on October 21, 2016 and was released in the United States on November 4, 2016.
The film has received generally positive reviews and has grossed $324 million worldwide against it's $125 million budget.
The Trolls were small and colorful creatures who resides in Troll Town with an almost perpetual states of happiness, singing, dancing and hugging everyday. However, they're discovered by The Bergens, large and ugly creatures that they can feel happy if they eat each troll. The Bergens put both the Trolls and the tree in a cage and hold an annual festival known as "Trollstice", where each and every Bergen gets its feelings of happiness by eating a Troll. However, King Peppy leads the Trolls to escape from the Bergens during which Prince Gristle tastes the first Troll, but soon realized the real Trolls were replaced with fake wooden dolls. Chef was immediately banished from Bergen Town by a furious King Gristle Sr., but Chef will be in charge of the Troll preparation.
Twenty years later, King Peppy's daughter, Princess Poppy, throw a big party to celebrate the Trolls' escape, despite the fears and warnings from a strict, disgruntled, grey-skinned and black-haired Troll survivalist Branch that parties will give the attention to the Bergens. Branch's fears are realized when the banised Chef see the fireworks from the party and begins to capture a number of trolls including DJ Suki, Biggie, Guy Diamond, Cooper, Satin and Chenille and Fuzzbert. Poppy is among the Trolls who manage to hide from the Chef but discovers that none of the other Trolls dare to venture to Bergen Town to rescue their friends. Poppy goes by herself and gets trapped by several spider-like creatures, but Branch intervenes and revives Poppy using the defibrillator-like bugs, Poppy and Branch meet Cloud Guy, who tells the both to go to Bergen Town safely without getting caught.
Poppy and Branch discover that their friends were guarded by a cautious and kind-hearted Bergen and scullery maid Bridget and strike a deal with her: if she frees their friends, they will help get her date with Prince Gristle, who is a King of Bergen Town after the previous king was dethroned by the subjects. While setting up for her date, Branch reveals that he is the way he is because ended up getting his grandmother, Grandma Rosiepuff eaten after a Bergen found him because of his singing, his color changes from blue to grey.
Later, with the Troll's advice (and hair), Bridget gets her date with Gristle at Captain Starfunkle's pizza and arcade and she helps the Trolls escape. However, things go wrong when Poppy and her friends tried to save the last Troll Creek who after being apparently swallowed by the young king has been discovered being captive in the jewel that decorates the king's mantle. While the Trolls are successful is stealing the jewel, they are dismayed to discover that it is empty and even more shocked by being captured immediately afterward by Chef and discovering that Creek betrayed the Trolls to save himself. Creek, however, returns to Troll Town and uses Poppy's cowbell to lure the other Trolls out of hiding, leading to Chef and the other Bergen cooks capturing every other Troll in Troll Town.
With all of the Trolls captured and soon to be served to the Bergens, Poppy loses hope and she and every single Troll turn into solid grey. Branch, despite his typical grumbling, sings for the first time in his life since his grandmother was eaten, and reveals to Poppy through song that he loves her, to her surprise. She sings back that he love him and restore Branch's blue color, and they hug as all of the Trolls restore their colors. Just before being served, the Trolls are rescued by Bridget, who wants them to flee while she herself is ready to accept the Bergen's punishment for her "treason". However, Poppy does not want to abandon her Bergen friend. Together, with the other Trolls, Poppy reveals that Bridget, was, in fact, the king's mysterious date, and that, for being happy, is not necessary to eat Trolls as the feeling that Bridget and Gristle had on the date was happiness too. The Trolls invited the Bergens to sing and dance with them, making the Bergens feel the happiness that was already inside them that they just needed help to access. The vengeful Chef, who sees her newly re-won position at court jeopardized, tries to kill the Trolls, Before she can do so, she is knocked into the serving cart by a well aimed spoon thrown by Bridget. Together, with the traitor Creek who is still in her pouch, Chef rolls out of the castle with the cart set on fire, ending Trollstice once and for all.
At the end, Poppy is crowned their new queen, and with Branch regaining his blue color, they hug again.
In the mid-credits scene, the cart with a burnt Chef and Creek stops in the middle of nowhere, Chef attempts to eat Creek until he stops her and they get eaten by a monster together.
- This movie is based on the popular troll dolls. It was also seen in Pixar's franchise Toy Story.
- This is the second time the Troll franchise has been animated. The first was DiC Entertainment's Trollz.
- This is the third DreamWorks Animation movie to have a female protagonist, after Chicken Run and Monsters vs. Aliens.
- The second DreamWorks Animation's musical film, following The Prince of Egypt. In fact, it is the first DreamWorks Animation musical in 20 years.
- This will be the first DreamWorks Animation film to be released on 4K Ultra HD.
- Due to a few cartoon sound effects being used in a few parts, this is mostly likely the first DreamWorks Animation film to use the banana peel slip sound effect originally from various Hanna-Barbera cartoons (which is only used once at the very beginning of the film). Ironically, that sound effect was previously used in some episodes of The Penguins of Madagascar TV series.
- Anna Kendrick as Poppy
- Justin Timberlake as Branch
- Gwen Stefani as DJ Suki
- James Corden as Biggie
- Russell Brand as Creek
- Icona Pop as Fashionistas
- Ron Funches as Cooper
- Kunal Nayyar as Guy Diamond
- GloZell as Grandma Rosiepuff
- Meg Deangelis as Moxie
- Ricky Dillon as Aspen
- Kandee Johnson as Mandy Sparkledust
- Christine Baranski as Chef
- John Cleese as King Gristle
- Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Prince Gristle
- Zooey Deschanel as Bridget
- Walt Dohrn as Cloud Guy / Smidge / Fuzzbert
- Jeffrey Tambor as King Peppy
- Quvenzhané Wallis as Harper
On June 23, 2010, DreamWorks Animation announced plans to create a film based on the toys, under the direction of Tim Hill. The brother–sister writing team of Adam Wilson and Melanie Wilson LaBracio were set to write the screenplay, and Dannie Festa of Festa Entertainment to executive produce. In June 2012, it was reported that Chloë Grace Moretz will voice the female lead, while the role of the male lead, Masklin, had been offered to Jason Schwartzman. In September 2012, 20th Century Fox and DreamWorks Animation announced that the film with the working title Trolls would be released on June 5, 2015, with Anand Tucker set to direct the film, written by Wallace Wollodarsky and Maya Forbes. Moretz and Schwartzman have also been confirmed to lend their voices. Peter Ramsey, the director of Rise of the Guardians, said that Trolls would be partially based on a Terry Pratchett novel.
By April 2013, DreamWorks Animation had acquired the intellectual property for the Trolls franchise from the Dam Family and Dam Things. Having "big plans for the franchise," DreamWorks Animation became the exclusive worldwide licensor of the merchandise rights, except for Scandinavia, where Dam Things remains the licensor. In May 2013, the film was pushed back for a year to November 4, 2016. The same month, DreamWorks Animation announced that Mike Mitchell and Erica Rivinoja has been hired as a director and screenplay writer to "reimagine" the film as a musical comedy, which will present the origin of the Trolls' colorful hair. On June 16, 2014, Anna Kendrick joined the cast to voice Poppy, a princess. On September 15, 2015, Deadline.com reported that Justin Timberlake will voice a character named Branch. The full cast announced their respective roles via announcements on Twitter on January 6, 2016. On January 28, 2016, a teaser trailer was released on YouTube. On June 29, 2016, the film's first trailer was released online.
Timberlake serves as an executive producer for the film's music, and released the original song "Can't Stop the Feeling!" on May 6, 2016. The song reached No. 1 in 14 countries, including the United States and Canada. He has also confirmed that Ariana Grande and Gwen Stefani will contribute to the soundtrack.
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet Poppy! - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go...I'm officially a #Troll. - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet DJ Suki! - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet Biggie! - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet Creek! - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet the Fashionistas! - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Remember Trolls?! They're back! In Ron form. - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet Guy Diamond! - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ HAIR we Go! Meet Grandma Rosiepuff! - Facebook - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet Aspen! - Tumblr - April 13, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet Mandy Sparkledust! - Instagram - April 13, 2016