On May 1, 2017, it was announced that Sprout would be rebranded as Universal Kids on September 9, 2017. The rebranded network revamped its evening and primetime programming to target youth and family viewing, with plans to incorporate new original series targeting the demographic (such as Top Chef Junior), as well as other international imports (such as the Australian series Nowhere Boys and the Canadian series The Next Step). The remainder of the network's programming continued to consist of preschool programming under the Sprout brand until November 2017.
Universal Pictures' recent acquisition of DreamWorks Animation will also be leveraged by Universal Kids to bolster its programming; critics felt that the DWA purchase and the launch of Universal Kids were meant to help NBCUniversal establish a viable multi-platform presence in children's media, and a competitor to other major children's brands such as Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Disney Channel .
DreamWorks Animation Shows on Universal Kids
- Noddy, Toyland Detective (September 3, 2016)
- All Hail King Julien (September 9, 2017)
- DreamWorks Dragons (September 9, 2017)
- The Mr. Peabody & Sherman Show (April 8, 2018)
- The Adventures of Puss in Boots (October 15, 2018)
- Dinotrux (April 21, 2019)
- Home: Adventures with Tip and Oh (May 6, 2019)
- Where's Waldo? (July 6, 2019)