Universal Studios (also known as Universal Pictures) is an American film studio founded in 1912. It was owned by NBCUniversal, a division of Comcast.
Universal was the film (outside of America) and video distributor for DreamWorks live-action titles and DWA titles (Back when DreamWorks Animation was a division of DW before it was spun off in 2004.) until DreamWorks was sold to Paramount Pictures in 2006, at which point Paramount took over distribution.
After Viacom spun off DreamWorks Studios in 2008, Universal was planned to resume distributing DreamWorks' movies, but this deal fell through as Disney took over the distribution for DreamWorks movies under the Touchstone Pictures banner starting in 2011 until 2016. In April 2016, Comcast (which owns Universal) purchased DreamWorks Animation for $3.8 Billion. It is therefore likely that when the current distribution deal with 20th Century Fox finishes, DreamWorks Animation's films will be distributed by Universal. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019) will be the first DWA film distributed by Universal and as a Universal subsidiary.
Ever since DreamWorks Pictures started, the studio had rented space from Universal Studios on their backlot. This continued through the Paramount and Touchstone eras.
- Universal Television
- Universal Pictures Home Entertainment
- Focus Features
- NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan
- Working Title Films
- DreamWorks Animation
- Illumination Entertainment
- Universal Animation Studios
- Universal Cartoon Studios
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019)
- Abominable (2019)
- Trolls World Tour (2020)
- The Croods 2 (2020)
- The Boss Baby 2 (2021)
- Spooky Jack (2021)
- Antz (1998)
- The Prince of Egypt (1998)
- The Road to El Dorado (2000)
- Chicken Run (2000)
- Joseph: King of Dreams (2000)
- Shrek (2001)
- Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (2002)
- Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (2003)
- Shrek 2 (2004)
- Shark Tale (2004)
- Madagascar (2005)
- Wallace & Gromit: the Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)