The wilhelm scream is a scream sound effect which was introduced in the 1951 film, Distant Drums. It is used as an in-joke cliche as it appeared in many films, most notably from Disney animations, comedy films, action films, and all Star Wars films. It has appeared in many DreamWorks Animation films.
Dreamworks Animation films that use the wilhelm scream
- Madagascar (2005) - Heard when the crowd are charging up the stairs at Grand Central Station, thinking that Alex is chasing them.
- Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) - Heard when the were-rabbit steps on a villager after picking up Lady Tottington.
- Over the Hedge (2006) - When a mosquito hits into the light. (very faint)
- Flushed Away (2006) - Heard when the crowd screams as the slugs were about to land on them. (faint)
- Shrek the Third (2007) - There are two wilhelm screams in this movie:
- One is when a bar fight breaks out.
- Another one is when Dragoness throws a witch away during a war near a castle.
- Kung Fu Panda (2008) - During Tai Lung's escape when he throws a rhino guard into another.
- Monsters vs. Aliens (2009) - When B.O.B. spits out a "Gallaxhar" clone.
- Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (2012) - Heard when a biker screams as he flees out of the freeway during a chase with Alex and his friends. (International versions only)